Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Trail Running in Amazing Thailand




I am almost 100% recovered.  Even my GP is surprised.  I put it down to the fact that I eat a plant diet but perhaps it is just the determination I had not to miss the above race.

Over the last 2 months I have been preparing.  It's not a marathon or more, just 25k, but it will be run in a very rugged jungle trail in rural Thailand.

I have trained.



I bought trail running shoes to add to my collection.


I have almost begged DHL and Customs to release my parcel of trail running goodies that they held onto for more than 14 days.



Now I am ready.

I still have shingles but I am not contagious.  I am just a little bit sore and a wee bit tired but when my energy runs out I can run on adrenaline.

There is something so magical about running on trails, in nature, with a fear of snakes and spiders but awe at the same time, jumping over coconuts, climbing steep hills.

It is the only time in my life where I feel no shame or embarrassment falling over or rolling down a hill in front of total strangers.

It is Euphoric.

I am more spiritual than religious, but when my fellow runners are far ahead of me (because that's what happens when you're really slow) and I can convince myself I am all alone out in the middle of nowhere; I feel closer to God.  Really.

There will be at least 300 other runners lined up with me on Sunday.  We will be running a single file trail through the jungle.  

I am so freaking excited!  And since I have no grand illusions about PB's or beating anyone, I will take a camera so I can hopefully capture some of the beauty of being blessed enough to run on a Kao Mai Keaw jungle trek.


4 comments:

  1. Oh Sharon - I love your enthusiasm and so wonderful to hear what a brilliant positive state you're in. All the best for the run and savour every minute xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment on my blog.
    Enjoy the run - running through the jungle will be cool. Well, in terms of temperature, it will be hot. Make sure they will have water on the trail, and if not, bring plenty of your own. In fact, bring some of your own in any case.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds AMAZING!! Hope it went well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems and amazing race, Hope it went all well and enjoyed your race.
    Will be eagerly waiting for you post about the race and the snaps you captured.

    ReplyDelete